This Easy Sausage Chili has been a family favorite going on 25 years now! Coming to an agreement on chili was one of our first major hurdles in the kitchen as a married couple, and as hog farmers sausage as the meat was an obvious choice.
There are so many ways to make chili, this recipe is the one we came to an agreement on when we first got married. So many decisions……..thick, thin, pasta, no pasta, beans-hot or mild, the list goes on and on! But being as we both are born and bred Hoosiers we knew ground meat, pasta and beans were given so from there we just jumped in and came up with this super simple recipe that is now a family favorite!
Nothing makes your house smell like a cool crisp fall day like a crock pot full of chili. I have been known to make a big double batch of it in the morning, keep it warm in the crockpot all day and just let people help themselves as they are in and out of the house working on barn chores! Warms you from the inside out!
The great thing about this chili is that it’s very basic – good to eat on its own but just as yummy when you put out all the fixings:
- diced onions
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
Serve it up with some cornbread or peanut butter sandwiches and everyone is happy and full!
Easy Sausage Chili
- 1 pound sausage
- 64 ounces tomato juice
- 2 - 15.5 ounce cans of chili beans
- 1 diced onion (optional)
- 1 tsp. chili powder (optional)
- ¼ tsp. cumin (optional)
- pasta of your choice
- Brown the sausage and diced onion.
- Add chili powder and cumin.
- Pour in tomato juice and chili beans; bring to a slow boil.
- Add your uncooked pasta and continue cooking till paster is tender.
- Crockpot Version:
- Brown sausage and diced onion.
- Add browned sausage, onion and remaining ingredients to crock pot, cook on high till pasta is done then keep warm on low.