You can literally taste Spring in these Fresh Squeezed Lime Bars, I’m totally serious. Wether it’s snowing, raining or sunny here in Indiana in the midst of my messy kitchen these bars make me smile!
My kitchen often suffers from an identity crisis a lot of times of the year but February and March hit my poor kitchen hard with Mother Nature and her bipolar attitude and calving.
But calving makes me smile and so do sweets like these lime bars, so all is good!
Limes make me happy – wether they are in these Fresh Squeezed Lime Bars or part of a margarita, which if you added tequila to these you could totally have your dessert and drink it too!
I have actually made these with tequila and you end up with an awesome Margarita Bar dessert! I simply followed the directions below but added 2 tablespoons of tequila into your wet ingredients and it adds just a touch of tequila flavor!
Fresh Squeezed Lime Bars
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup butter
- 4 eggs
- ⅓ cup lime juice
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp grated lime peel
- ½ tsp baking powder
- couple drops of green food coloring (optional)- I used Wilton Kelly Green
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and cut in butter and combine with a pastry cutter
- Put in a 9x13 pan and pat down evenly to cover bottom of pan
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 10 minutes
- Whisk eggs, lime juice, flour, sugar, lime peel, baking powder and green food coloring together until throughly mixed
- Pour over cooked crust and return to 350 degree oven till filling is set, approximately 25 minutes