This cake, this Maraschino Cherry Angel Food Cake is so fluffy and sweet and cherry flavored and so super easy you might make it twice in 3 days just because it’s that good and that easy!
This cake idea is one of my greater ephinay’s, and yes I know what that word means! Once you taste this cake you will see why that word is appropriate!
I immediately texted my Mom asking for her Angel Food Cake recipe. I can remember as a kid my Mom making these delicately light and fluffy cakes all the time. But my world was immediately shattered when my text was answered simply with “I don’t have one, I always use a box mix”! I was thrown, had to sit down, clutched my heart and started to question my entire childhood……..what else didn’t I know, how could that be, what other ‘secrets’ were lurking in my past? But she instantly assured me that it was not intentional and that it wasn’t something she was hiding!
I can remember watching and holding my breath as those sweet cakes hung upside down…..I couldn’t imagine why, oh why a person would hang a cake upside down. Every time she did I would swear that was the one that was going to fall out, but they never did, and neither did mine – although I still watched it holding my breath!
Maraschino Cherry Angel Food Cake
- 1 box mix Angel Food Cake Mix
- ⅓ c maraschino cherries, finely chopped
- 1½ c. powdered sugar
- 3-4 T maraschino cherry juice
- Remove cherries from juice and blot dry with a paper towel.
- Finely chop maraschino cherries until you have ⅓ of a cup of chopped cherries.
- Mix Angel Food Cake Mix according to box directions.
- Gently fold the chopped maraschino cherries into the prepared cake mix batter.
- Pour into your angel food cake pan and bake according to box directions.
- Cool cake according to box directions.
- Combine powdered sugar and cherry juice until consistency desired to pour over cooled cake
- Once cake is cool, place on serving plate and drizzle with icing!