These individual Chocolate Chip Crumbcakes are so fun! Serve them up for breakfast or dessert or both, it’s a recipe that you will love!
I’ll be honest, I got a tad depressed! My Facebook feed was full of people either in Disney World or talking about there upcoming trip to Disney World…..and here I sat in cold gray Indiana with no plans to go anywhere but the barns to check livestock. So I pulled myself together, grabbed one of my favorite Disney cookbooks, Cooking with Mickey and Disney Chefs, and decided to bake my winter blahs away!
I initially made these one evening as a dessert but in all honesty after eating a whole one by myself – you know recipe testing – I felt they were a little dry. A little dejected I decided I would lift my Disney spirit by reminiscing and possibly laughing uncontrollably at my middle child on Expedition Everest………
Before you call CPS – yes she was old enough and tall enough to ride, yes she begged to ride I did not make her! I never before and have never since bought one of these pictures they take and try to sell you – but there was no way I was passing this one up!
The last time we were in Disney was 2007 – just look at my babies!!
But the next morning the other loaves were just sitting there and I was forced to give them a second chance! And I’ve never been so happy – they were so delicious after sitting overnight, I was seriously amazed. So moist with that crumbly top and chocolaty, they were the perfect breakfast!
Chocolate Chip Crumbcakes
Chocolate Chip Crumbcakes
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sifted cake flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups butter softened
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease and flour three 3-inch by 5-inch mini loaf pans
- In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of the cake flour with the cornstarch and baking powder.
- In bowl using an electric mixer, beat 1 cup sugar, 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of the butter, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and the lemon extract for about 5 minutes, or until light and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition, and adding 2 to 3 tablespoons of the flour mixture with the last egg; the mixture may seem curdled but it isn't. Beat for 3-4 minutes, or until creamy again.
- With a rubber spatula, fold in the remaining flour mixture until thoroughly mixed. Stir in the chocolate chip.
- In a small bowl, with a fork, mix together the remaining 1/4 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons butter and 3/4 teaspoons vanilla. Add the remaining 1/2 cup flour and mix until crumbly.
- Fill the prepared loaf pans with the crumb cake batter and sprinkle the crumb mixture over the top.
- Bake the cakes for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the middle of the cake springs back when touched lightly or a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- I don't like lemon and chocolate so omitted the lemon extract! I also LOVE mini chocolate chips so used those instead of regular sized ones!!!