This recipe is for my sisters Homemade Ham and Cheese Sandwich, it’s so good and actually a pretty simple recipe. Easy homemade dough makes a delicious and beautiful meal for the whole family!
Isn’t this just the prettiest presentation! And it really is so simple, I promise!
Homemade bread dough spread with a quick buttery mixture layered with ham and cheese. The best thing about this is it can be eaten warm or cold, and easily reheated in the microwave it you want hot ham and cheese!
This recipe is from my sister and I’ll be honest the first time I saw it I panicked a little over the braided look on top! But have no fear it was super simple!
Roll the risen dough out into a rectangle!
Spread your butter poppy seed mixture down the middle!
Layer with ham and cheese – we are divided in this family so we did half Swiss and half shredded cheddar – so easy to customize!
And finish it off! Simply cut each side into 1 inch strips and alternate sides bringing strips of dough over the sandwich.
Homemade Ham and Cheese Sandwich
Perfect for a family meal, appetizers or to take to friends!
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 Tablespoon Yeast
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups of flour
- 1 stick of butter
- 1½ Tablespoons Poppy Seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup minced onion
- ½ - 1 pound of ham slices
- Favorite cheese slices
- Dissolve yeast in warm water; add sugar butter salt and flour
- Combine until dough is formed and let raise 20 minutes
- Roll dough into a 10x14 rectangle and spread the poppy seed mixture down the middle long ways
- Place ham and cheese sliced down the middle over the spread
- Cut sides of rectangle into 1 inch stripes on both sides and alternate sides covering ham and cheese with strips
- Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with poppy seeds
- Allow to raise for 10-15 minutes
- Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for approximately 30 minutes