Beef Cubed Steak and Pan Gravy is a favorite from my childhood! My Mom can make the best cube steak that literally melts in your mouth! Serve it with mashed potatoes smothered in the pan drippings made into gravy and I’m back home at Mom’s table!
Cubed steak can be a pretty tough cut of meat – the reason they cube…..or tenderize it with the criss cross cuts! But cooked right and seasoned simply with salt, pepper and a flour coating and its an awesome down home meal!
I think the secret is a good fry on each side and then hanging out in the cast iron skillet in the oven to really make that meat cut with a fork and melt in your mouth!
I always fry with a combination of vegetable oil and butter – vegetable oil allows the butter to cook without burning at a higher temperature! Butter, because well, BUTTER!
Beef Cubed Steak and Pan Gravy
You’re gonna wanna serve this with my favorite mashed potatoes – believe me!
- 4 Cubed Steaks
- ½ cup flour
- ½ - 1 teaspoon salt
- ½- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 4 Tablespoons flour, salt, pepper dredge from steaks
- 2 cups of liquid -either beef broth or milk......or 1 of each
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl big enough to dredge cubed steaks in
- Heat oil and butter in frying pan that is oven safe
- Pat steaks dry and dredge in flour mixture on both sides
- Fry steaks on both sides 5-6 minutes until a nice golden crust is formed
- Remove steaks from pan, set aside while you make gravy
- Add 4 Tablespoons of butter to pan along with 4 Tablespoons of your flour dredge, combine into a paste
- Add 2 cups of liquid to rue and whisk to combine, scraping up bits from pan
- Place steaks back in gravy and cover
- Place frying pan with steaks in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes until steaks are fork tender