There is possibly a million recipes for Puppy Chow or Muddie Buddies but this Cherry Chip Puppy Chow tops the list for me! Not to mention I added chocolate and strawberry sugar wafer cookies to it, so yeah!!!!
I always try to come up with a Valentines Day treat, which for a family that doesn’t really celebrate the day is kind of weird! Once we just happened to have a calf born on Valentine’s Day and Chris tried to pretend he planned it……..but I digress!
My friend Sarah over at Farmwife Crafts has the most amazing recipe for Valentine’s Day Puppy Chow made with Red Velvet cake mix – can I just say that it is nothing short of amazing! I often make it when the kids aren’t home so that no one has to watch eat the whole batch, lick my fingers and dust the sugar off my clothes!
But the other day I opened up the cabinet and much to my dismay there was no Red Velvet Cake mix – I needed my Puppy Chow fix! So I improvised! I love Cherry Chip cake so that’s where I started! I found some white chocolate chips which I might add I love white chocolate more than chocolate chocolate!! Is that blasphemy???? I also love sugar wafers so I added those in as well – because, well, why not!
I was informed they liked Sarah’s better…….all I could think was “more for me” but I still love them! Actually maybe more since that meant I got more!
Cherry Chip Puppy Chow
- 6 cups Rice Chex
- ¾ cup white chocolate chips
- ¼ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1½ cups cherry chip cake mix
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 6 chocolate sugar wafers
- 6 strawberry sugar wafers
- Valentine sprinkles
- Put your Rice Chex in a big bowl with a lid or a really big ziplock bag
- Heat your white chocolate chips and semi sweet chocolate chips in the microwave, 20-30 seconds at a time, stirring in between- until fully melted and combined
- Pour the melted chocolate over the Rice Chex and shake to mix and coat
- Add your cherry chip cake mix and powdered sugar to the Rice Chex and chocolate and shake/stir gently to coat
- Cut your strawberry and chocolate wafers into bite size pieces
- Add wafters and sprinkles to Rice Chex mixture and stir gently to combine
More Valentine’s treats: