Creamed Spinach is one of my favorite dishes. I seriously love spinach, even plain spinach so adding cheese just ups my love.
While I love creamed spinach it has taken some trial and error – and eating a lot of creamed spinach – to come up with a recipe I loved!
I love this version because it works for both stovetop or oven method! Make this ahead and heat in a casserole dish in the oven later or serve it directly from the stove top!
This version has just a couple of steps but are so worth it!
First step is the creamy goodness!
Second is sautéing the onions!
Then you get to mix the creamy goodness all together – well worth the simple steps – I promise!
This is a perfect side dish for pork chops or a perfectly grilled steak!
This recipe works for me because I love the creaminess of the cream cheese…..well duh, and the saltiness of the parm. And you know, the fact there is a vegetable hidden in all that cheese!
- 5 Tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 Tablespoons minced onion
- 2 10 ounce packages frozen chopped spinach- thawed
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese plus additional for garnish
- In a saucepan over medium ow heat melt 3 Tablespoons of butter then stir in the flour and salt until creamed
- Slowly stir in the half and half, then add the cream cheese-constantly whisking until it becomes thick and smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a saucepan suate the onion in the remaining 2 Tablespoons of butter - till soft and translucent
- Add the spinach and the water to the sauted onion, stir, reduce heat to low - cover, stirring occasionally and cook for about 8 minutes
- Stir in the prepared sauce and shredded Parmesan until completely combined - serve or you can bake in a casserole dish with additional shredded parmeasan in a 350 degree pre-heated oven for 10 minutes.