Creamed Spinach is one of my favorite dishes. I seriously love spinach, even plain spinach so adding cheese just ups my love.
While I love creamed spinach it has taken some trial and error – and eating a lot of creamed spinach – to come up with a recipe I loved!
I love this version because it works for both stovetop or oven method! Make this ahead and heat in a casserole dish in the oven later or serve it directly from the stove top!
This version has just a couple of steps but are so worth it!
First step is the creamy goodness!
A combinations of butter and flour to make a rue. Then adding in the half and half and cream cheese for delicious base for your spinach.
Second is sautéing the onions! This makes them soft and buttery to blend in.
Then you get to mix the creamy goodness all together – well worth the simple steps – I promise!
This recipe works for me because I love the creaminess of the cream cheese…..well duh, and the saltiness of the parm. And you know, the fact there is a vegetable hidden in all that cheese!
- 5 Tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 Tablespoons minced onion
- 2 10 ounce packages frozen chopped spinach- thawed
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese plus additional for garnish
- In a saucepan over medium ow heat melt 3 Tablespoons of butter then stir in the flour and salt until creamed
- Slowly stir in the half and half, then add the cream cheese-constantly whisking until it becomes thick and smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a saucepan suate the onion in the remaining 2 Tablespoons of butter - till soft and translucent
- Add the spinach and the water to the sauted onion, stir, reduce heat to low - cover, stirring occasionally and cook for about 8 minutes
- Stir in the prepared sauce and shredded Parmesan until completely combined - serve or you can bake in a casserole dish with additional shredded parmeasan in a 350 degree pre-heated oven for 10 minutes.