Not kidding, that’s what this is called, Perfect Pulled Pork. It’s “Big, Bold and Unapologetic”, it says that right in the recipe.
I found this recipe years ago, like 8 years ago in a pork magazine. Honestly when I saw it was called “Perfect Pulled Pork”……….. I was skeptical.
But folks, it really is! It has just the right amount of flavor without taking away from the pork and literally falls apart when you stick a fork in it!
The seasoning combination that you rub on the outside compliments any barbecue sauce you choose or quite honestly is flavorful enough and the pork is moist enough you can eat it without.
This pairs perfectly with my Almost Award Winning Macaroni and Cheese or my Dill Potato Salad. It freezes well and reheats well also. Little tip, if you need liquid when reheating pork use apple juice instead of water!!
Perfect Pulled Pork
The recipe calls for a 5 pound pork shoulder, I often use bigger! Just be sure you adjust your cooking times for larger roasts.
- 5 pound boneless pork butt shoulder
- 1½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- Combine all seasonings in a small bowl and rub evenly over roast
- Place meat in a 6 quart slow cooker
- Add water and cover
- Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 4-5 hours, until pork literally falls apart when a fork is stuck in it
- Place pork on large cutting board, let rest for 10-15 minutes
- Pull, slice or chop to serve
This post is sponsored by Indiana’s 3,000 pig farmers who encourage you to Fork More Pork when planning your meals, but the opinions are all my own!