I love that this is called Back Home Cornbread Salad because it is from my hometown church cookbook! It is a layered salad that is beautiful but so so good. A recipe that will fascinate people but it super easy to put together.
A small town church cookbook is an amazing source – no one cooks like church ladies! This recipe is from Peggy, I love Peggy. Of course I’ll be honest there is no one in the church I grew up in that I don’t love and cook, man can all of them cook!
This recipe can be made with homemade cornbread but in all honesty I make it with boughten cornbread. It’s just as good and make it super easy since you can make this a day ahead and mostly this is just layering ingredients!
Back Home Cornbread Salad
Who wouldn’t want to go back home to this salad!
Those layers – each one as delicious as the next but together they are amazing!
- 1 (16 ounce) package cornbread mix or remade cornbread
- 1 (1 ounce) package Ranch dressing mix
- 1½ cups sour cream
- 1½ cups mayonnaise
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tomatos, diced
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 (11 ounce) cans whole kernel corn, drained
- Prepare cornbread according to package directions, set aside to cool
- Whisk together the salad dressing mix, sour cream and mayonnaise
- Crumble half the cornbread in the bottom of a large serving dish - clear big bowl works great for presentation
- Layer half of all remaining ingredients
- Top with half of the salad dressing
- Repeat layering with remains ingredients
- Garnish as desired
- Cover and chill 2 to 3 hours before serving
- Can be made a day ahead of time as well