This easy Chicken Pot Pie is delicious baked right away, made ahead as a freezer meal or both!
The recipe is easily doubled or quadrupled. Make it for friends or keep them all in your freezer. You know for those nights that you are not exactly prepared to actually have to feed your family!
I love Chicken Pot Pie, but confession time, I have never had to make one! I was very intimidated to say the least. So when the opportunity to participate in a ‘freezer meal party’ I knew it was time to go for it.
We had so much fun having a freezer party thanks to Indiana Family of Farmers! I’m sure there will be lots of farm families happy we took the time to do this when planting rolls around here in Indiana! There are also some ‘live’ videos on the IFOF Facebook page and I know several tip videos will be coming in the next few weeks.
So while I love my view during planting, in the back of my mind is always ‘what am I going to feed everyone for supper’! I’ve never been a very organized person so freezer meals aren’t my forte. But this is going to help my motivation a lot since this will make supper time so much easier!
Chicken Pot Pie
One of my favorite things about this particular recipe for Chicken Pot Pie is that it is all-inclusive. It has the veggies, potatoes, and meat all in there! I served it with some fresh fruit, a big glass of cold milk and a full meal was super easy! And yes I use boughten pie crust……..I have my Great Grandmother’s homemade pie crust recipe but the Pillsbury pie crusts are seriously to die for – so easy and tastes heavenly!
I bought these great 9 inch disposable pans for my freezer pies and I also placed each one in a 2 gallon plastic zipper bag to protect it even more in the freezer. We are approaching planting and these are going to come in very hand – if I’m patient enough to wait. If you are looking for expert advice, because I can’t give that, check out my friend Queen of Free and her post 7 Can’t Miss Tips for a Successful Freezer Meal Day.
Looking for comfort food fast?
Try my Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie, homemade goodness in less than 30 minutes!
Chicken Pot Pie
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 24 ounce package Pic Sweet Vegetable for Stew
- 1 tsp. Italian Herbs or Herbs de Provence
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 4 T butter
- 4 T flour
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pie crusts
- 1 egg
- Shredded Parmesan for garnish
- Combine the chicken broth, package of vegetables and Italian Herbs or Herbs de Provence - simmer till potatoes and carrots are fork tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add cubed chicken.
- In a separate pan melt butter and flour together, add heavy cream until combined.
- Stir flour, butter, heavy cream mixture into chicken and vegetables until combined.
- Add parmesan cheese and peas.
- Place one piecrust in pie pan, fill with filling and top with another piecrust.
- Mix egg with a small amount of water, brush egg wash on top of crust and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 375° oven for 45 minutes.
This post was sponsored by Indiana’s Family of Farmers but all thoughts and opinions are my own.