This easy Chicken Pot Pie is delicious baked right away, made ahead as a freezer meal or both! The recipe is easily doubled or quadrupled, make it for friends or keep them all in your freezer for those nights that you are not exactly prepared to actually have to feed your family!
I love Chicken Pot Pie, but confession time – up until this point in my life I have never had to make one! I was very intimidated to say the least – but when the opportunity to participate in a ‘freezer meal party’ I knew it was time to put on my big girl pants and go for it- because when you aren’t really sure how to make something why not subject others to it……….
We had so much fun having a freezer party thanks to Indiana Family of Farmers! I’m sure there will be lots of farm families happy we took the time to do this when planting rolls around here in Indiana! There are also some ‘live’ videos on the IFOF Facebook page and I know several tip videos will be coming in the next few weeks.
So while I love my view during planting, in the back of my mind is always ‘what am I going to feed everyone for supper’! I’ve never been a very organized person so freezer meals aren’t my forte but this is going to help my motivation a lot since this will make supper time so much easier!
One of my favorite things about this particular recipe for Chicken Pot Pie is that it is all inclusive – its got the veggies, potatoes and meat all in there! I served it with some fresh fruit and a big glass of cold milk and a full meal was super easy! And yes I use boughten pie crust……..I have my Great Grandmother’s homemade pie crust recipe but the Pillsbury pie crusts are seriously to die for – so easy and tastes heavenly!
I bought these great 9 inch disposable pans for my freezer pies and I also placed each one in a 2 gallon plastic zipper bag to protect it even more in the freezer. We are approaching planting and these are going to come in very hand – if I’m patient enough to wait. If you are looking for expert advice, because I can’t give that, check out my friend Queen of Free and her post 7 Can’t Miss Tips for a Successful Freezer Meal Day.
Chicken Pot Pie
Chicken Pot Pie
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 24 ounce package Pic Sweet Vegetable for Stew
- 1 tsp. Italian Herbs or Herbs de Provence
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 4 T butter
- 4 T flour
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup shredded parmasean cheese
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pie crusts
- 1 egg
- Shredded Parmasean for garnish
- Combine the chicken broth, package of vegetables and Italian Herbs or Herbs de Provence - simmer till potatoes and carrots are fork tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add cubed chicken.
- In a separate pan melt butter and flour together, add heavy cream until combined.
- Stir flour, butter, heavy cream mixture into chicken and vegetables until combined.
- Add parmesan cheese and peas.
- Place one piecrust in pie pan, fill with filling and top with another piecrust.
- Mix egg with a small amount of water, brush egg wash on top of crust and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 45 minutes.
This post was sponsored by Indiana’s Family of Farmers but all thoughts and opinions are my own.