Chicken Pot Pie is classic comfort food so being able to make Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie means easy in minutes not hours. All the flavors in less time means it can be an easy weeknight supper.
I have several chicken pot pie recipes. I have my Grandmas, in her handwriting, I might add, that literally starts out with “catching the chicken”! One of my favorite recipes makes a great freezer meal and you don’t have to catch your own chicken!
My traditional Chicken Pot Pie version is great for food prep people and also easy to pop in the oven if you have things to do while supper cooks. But if you are anything like me and suddenly get a craving for comfort food with no desire to be patient, well this my friends is for you!
There are so many versions of pressure cookers out there now but the Instant Pot is the one I use. I have had it for several years and I still love it!
Also while you could totally use a biscuit cutter or glass for the pie crust, can I just say using a chicken cookie cutter just makes it fun!
Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie
Classic down-home comfort food is less than half the time, with all the flavor and richness!
- You can use homemade or boughten pie crust – use what makes you happy!
- Totally serve this with biscuits if your family prefers those instead of pie crust.
- I use white meat but you could use dark if you like. Just know that it might cook differently so you might need to adjust the Instant Pot times.
- I cut my pie crust with my vintage chicken cookie cutter because FUN! But I’ve made it plenty of times just using my biscuit cutter or a glass and did circles of crispy pie dough!
Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 package boughten pie crusts
- 3 boneless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces About 1½ pounds
- 3 stalks celery, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 2 cups carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1¼ cups chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 2 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup shredded parmesan cheese
Chicken Pot Pie Filling
- Add the celery, carrots, potatoes, onions, chicken, chicken broth, salt and pepper to your Instant Pot - give a stir to mix up
- Secure the lid in sealed position and vent to seal, set the pressure cooker to manual for 5 minutes at high pressureWhen time ends use the quick release and carefully remove the lid when able
- Combine the flour and butter into a paste, carefully remove approximately 1 cup of liquid from the instant pot and slowly whisk into the butter and flour paste to make roux - once the roux is smooth and no lumps - CAREFULLY and slowly pour back into the instant pot - stir carefully as not to mash all the vegetables, also stir in the heavy cream and shredded parmesan
- Allow to cool and thicken before serving
- Using your favorite homemade recipe or boughten - roll out dough and cut into circles or shapes
- Place on a cookie sheet and bake in a pre-heated 450° oven for 12-15 minutes until crispy and lightly browned