I love Broccoli Cheese Soup and I love my crock pot, so Crock Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup is a no brainer! This soup is a super easy dump and go recipe!
Broccoli Cheese is one of my favorite soups of all time and in all honesty up until now I have never made it at home! I didn’t want to be disappointed but when my good friend Monica gave me this recipe I gave it a go…….and I wasn’t disappointed, neither was the family!
I put this recipe in a programmable crock pot – I was nervous and excited all at the same time! Crock pots are great – stick the food in, turn it on and come back to cooked food! But some things are more time sensitive than others – like this soup – leaving it on, even low, longer than it needed to cook wasn’t going to work so the programmable one that shifts it to warm when cooking time is over is ideal! Now you won’t want to leave it on Warm forever – even warm in a crock pot is warm so it is possible to burn the edges of this with so much milk, cream and cheese – but that is the very ingredients that make this soup so good!
I was asked to share some technology we use on our farm and while I could talk for hours on GPS, mapping and auto-steer it occurred to me our corn dryer and control panel are probably one of my favorite forms of technology. And remind me a lot of a programmable crock pot.
Field corn stores well at 15-16% moisture, a lot of times we harvest it a lot wetter than that, that’s where a corn dryer comes in. We store a lot of our corn, we use it for feed for the livestock. As a matter of fact, the number one use of field corn in Indiana is feed for livestock.
So storing it properly insures our product is safe for our livestock and for the food system down the pipeline!
But lets talk this soup! I tweeked her recipe just a tad, don’t we all tweek recipes! I love cauliflower in this soup so I added some and felt like after that I needed to thin it just a tad so added the milk.
Serve this soup with a turkey sandwich and lots of shredded cheese on top, sit back and enjoy!
Crock Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1 stick butter
- 6 Tablespoons flour
- 1 quart Half and Half
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 pound of Velveeta - cubed
- 2 - 12 ounce package frozen broccoli florets
- 1 - 12 ounce package frozen cauliflower
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- Shredded cheddar to top soup when serving
- Melt butter and combine with flour.
- Combine butter flour mixture, half & half and milk in crock pot.
- Sitr in Velveeta, 1 package of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots.
- Cook on low for six to seven hours.
- Stir occasionally to combine if possible.
- A few minutes before serving stir in additional bag of frozen broccoli carefully to retain florets.
- Serve topped with shredded cheddar.