Need I say more than – Apple Cider Cookies! These are as big as the palm of my hand and I bet you can’t eat just one! These are the perfect Fall cookie!
I found this recipe years ago, as in like 20 years ago, in a magazine! If I could remember the name of the magazine I would totally give them credit but I can’t – I’ve slept since then, I’ve slept a lot since then!
These cookies have been a huge hit since the first time I made them, they’ve been called ‘phenomenal’! I’m not kidding, I can sense your doubt as you read this, I hear you saying in your head “right, she thinks her cookies are phenomenal” – your thinking I’m a tad delusional! Well your wrong, I’m probably more than a tad delusional but these cookies truly are phenomenal!
This is one recipe I adhere to strictly…..believe me I’ve tried a few different things – they don’t work! You can’t substitute apple juice for the cider, you can’t make them smaller, you can’t take them out sooner so they don’t get as dark, and drizzle the icing-more isn’t better in this case, weird but true – all these things just end up with you crying over not having phenomenal cookies!
I always use a good size scoop, this set on Amazon is super cute and I like when making these cookies! I use either the blue or the yellow one, depending on which I can find at the time. I leave them in the ball and they will spread perfectly while baking, I only bake 6 at a time on a cookie sheet so they don’t run together!
Apple Cider Cookies
Apple Cider Cookies
- 2 c. flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 1/3 c. light brown sugar packed
- 3/4 c. unsalted butter softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 c. chopped apple
- 1/4 c. apple cider
- optional pecans raisins, well just about anything your heart desires
- For the icing:
- 2 Tbls. softened butter
- 3 c. powdered sugar
- 6 Tbls. of apple cider
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees - cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl, add the egg, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg in a bowl and gradually add to the butter-sugar-egg mixture until combined then add in chopped apples & apple cider stir to combine.
- Drop by LARGE spoonfuls onto cookie sheet - I use a scoop just about the size of an ice cream scooper- DON'T FEAR THE GIANT COOKIE!
- Bake for 18-22 minutes - seriously - DON'T FEAR THE DARK COOKIE!
- After the cookies cool drizzle - yep DRIZZLE on the cookies - my theory has always been the more icing the better but I learned with these the drizzle is the key!