Farmgirl Chocolate Chippers, Gooseberry Patch you had me at Farmgirl, then you said chocolate and there was no turning back! If I were to have a signature cookie this would be it! These cookies with oatmeal and chocolate chips make me happy inside and out!
My job in the fall and honestly my favorite job on the farm is running the grain cart! Catching the corn or soybeans on the move from the combine then filling semi’s and singing along to the radio in the middle of a field is pure happiness to me!
But like most every job there are those days that you can mess up even your favorite job!
Thirteen or so years ago we were harvesting a rolling farm and this was the first year we farmed it. I had ran the grain cart all day and into the evening. It became a very dark night and we were in the last field way in the back of the farm surrounded by trees and ponds.
I dumped the cart and went back to the spot where I thought I was to meet the combine again and waited, and waited, and waited, for what seemed like forever. Till the 2-way radio carrying the voice of my father-in-law broke the silence “Where are you, my hopper is full!”
Panic set in, I replied back “where are you? I thought I was waiting where you told me to!” Did I mention how dark it was and rolling, very rolling as in I couldn’t see the lights on the combine?
And then over the 2-way radio in the pitch black for all the world to hear I said “I really don’t know where I am!” And I didn’t and I might of cried just a little.
Farmgirl Chocolate Chippers
Wish I had had these cookies to console myself that night. I might of just sat in the tractor in that dark field eating cookies and listening to the radio!
These cookies are so good, sometimes we eat them for breakfast. They have oatmeal and eggs in them, which are both breakfast foods!!! This recipe makes 10 dozen, that’s a lot of cookies. Sometimes I go ahead and make the dough into balls and freeze some to bake later!
The original recipe came from the
Farmgirl Chocolate Chippers
- 2 c. butter-softened
- 2 c. sugar
- 2 c. brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 5 c. long cooking oats
- 4 c. all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 10.5 ounce pkgs of chocolate chips - I use mini choc chips
- Blend together butter, sugar and brown sugar in a large bowl, mix well
- Add eggs and vanilla, mix well
- Working in batches, process oats in a blender or food processor until powdery.
- Combine oats, flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl
- Carefully add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture with electric mixer and combine completely
- Stir in the chocolate chips
- With a small cookie scoop or a Tablespoon place dough on ungreased baking sheet, approximately 2 inches apart
- Bake in a pre-heated 350° oven for 6-10 minutes