This Traditional Beef Pot Roast Dinner is cooked in the oven! A melt in your mouth beef roast, potatoes, carrots and onions all cooked in a dutch oven! It is fall apart tasty and the pan drippings make a rich creamy gravy. Yankee Pot Roast, New England Pot Roast or Just like Grandmas Pot Roast – call it what you want I just say don’t call me late for supper when serving this!
Don’t get me wrong I love the convenience of the crock pot but I love a roast browned and baked in the oven! It isn’t any harder than the crock pot and really the waiting for it to perfectly cook is the toughest part!
This is a one pot meal too – you brown your roast in the pan, your veggies cook with your roast and then you make your gravy in the same pan!
It’s those brown bits from the roast that start this gravy off on the right foot! And if your all in the mood to further spoil those you love use some heavy cream in this gravy along with the milk – I can’t even begin to tell you how your people will love you!
I used whole petite potatoes and left my carrots whole, this takes a little longer to cook but worth it for me! However you can use regular potatoes quartered and cut your carrots smaller – it’s all up to you, just use a fork to check for tenderness so you know they are done and ready to serve.
Traditional Beef Pot Roast Dinner
Can I just add if you serve this with my Honey Wheat Oat Bread and Cherry Pie for dessert, well they may give you a standing ovation!
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1¼ teaspoons pepper
- 4-5 pound beef roast
- 2 Tablespoons butter or vegetable oil
- 1 cup water or beef broth
- 1.5 pounds of petite potatoes left whole
- 8 whole carrots peeled, ends cut off
- 1-2 whole onions, peeled and cut in half
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 4 Tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine flour, salt and pepper; cover roast in flour mixture
- Melt butter or heat vegetable oil in dutch oven or pan big enough for roast, potatoes, carrots and onions
- Brown roast on all sides
- Add water or beef broth and put a lid on your pan or cover with foil - place in a pre-heated 325 degree oven for approximately 4 hours or until meat is tender
- About 1 and half hours before end of cooking time add potatoes, carrots and onions - salt and pepper vegetables to taste
- Once roast and vegetables are cooked remove from pan and place on serving platter and cover lightly with foil to keep warm
- To your roast pan add 4 Tablespoons butter and 4 Tablespoons of flour and cook together
- Add 2 cups of milk and be sure to scrap up all the goodie brown bits on the bottom of the pan and stir till gravy is thick - salt and pepper to taste and serve!