I have been on a quest to find the perfect Cherry Pie filling and I believe I have accomplished it! This Homemade Cherry Pie is just the right combination of tart and creamy that I was looking for and satisfied the whole family, which in this house is no easy task!
I once had someone say and I quote:
“This is the best cherry pie I have ever had!”
Now in the interest of keeping this honest! I have no idea what his Cherry Pie experience is. This very well may have been the first cherry pie of his life or like I prefer to believe, he is a cherry pie expert and certified to make such statements!
Now if you know me at all I don’t make my pie crust, I use boughten! I have my Great Grandmother’s recipe, I have made pie crust but Pillsbury boughten crust wins in my book – perfect every single time!
Homemade Cherry Pie
Traditionally cherry pie uses almond extract but I like to live life on the edge……..I used vanilla! I love how it gave the tart cherries a smooth creamy taste!
- 3 14.5 ounce cans of tart pitted cherries in water
- 4 Tablespoons corn starch
- 1¼ cups sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- Drain 2 can of the cherries and add to pan
- Add the third can of cherries including the water in the can
- Add remaining ingredients and cook over medium heat, stirring often
- Cook until mixture is thickened and bubbling
- Cool before adding to unbaked pie shell
- Place top crust on and be sure there are vent holes, finish edges and brush with beaten egg white and sprinkled with sugar
- Bake in a 425 degree preheated oven for 20 minutes then turn oven to 375 degrees and cook for 30-40 more minutes until crust is golden and pie filling is bubbly
- If you want the pie to maintain it's shape when cut wait at least 3 hours for pie to cool - if you don't care just don't burn your mouth!