I love an easy to make hearty beef vegetable soup! And if you can make it in the Instant Pot even better, so this is my version of Instant Pot Beef Vegetable Soup! I make this on the stovetop as well, same recipe!
Vegetable soup is such a super easy throw together meal that is good as soon as it’s warm or really good when it’s flavors have spent all day mingling in the pot! I love barley in my vegetable soup so I leave out the potatoes! I’m not 100% sure barley and potatoes are equivalent but in my head they are so if I use one I don’t use the other!
But that’s the great thing about vegetable soup, it is totally customizable to anyone’s liking! Leave out what you don’t like and add in what you do!
My recipe calls for already cooked shredded beef, I always make a large roast with my Crock Pot Beef and Noodles then reserve half or so of the roast in the refrigerator or freezer for easy prep for recipes such as this soup or my Easy Stovetop Beef and Noodles super simple to throw together on a busy weeknight as an easy supper!
Instant Pot Beef Vegetable Soup
While you can make this on the stovetop as well, I feel like the Instant Pot with the pressure really melds the flavors and intensifies the taste of this soup! Plus if your busy, say in the barn with newborn twin calves that are just too cute to leave the Instant Pot shuts itself down, releases pressure naturally and keeps the soup warm!
- 1½ to 2 cups shredded beef roast
- 1 onion chopped
- 1½ frozen mixed vegetables - I use corn, green beans, peas & carrot mix
- 1 28 ounce can of petite diced tomatoes and juice
- 2-3 cups chopped cabbage
- ½ cup quick barley
- 1 can beef consommé
- 3 cups of beef broth
- Add all ingredients to your Instant Pot
- Place the lid on with vent to seal
- I use the soup/stew button or you can use manual - set time to cook for 7 minutes
- Let natural release for 10 and then carefully turn vent to release, carefully watching it as it is soup and might spit some through vent!