And then Rainbow Cool Whip Mini Cakes happened. Colorful, fun and will make everyone smile!
I have been fighting these for years with my Sweet Farmgirl but after the individual colors of the rainbow desserts were finished there really was no other way to top off our accomplishment than with the ultimate rainbow dessert! And while there are a million ways to make rainbow colored cakes we opted for these Rainbow Cool Whip Mini Cakes!
I relinquished my kitchen, walked out, didn’t look back!
I heard clanking, clinking, singing and the occasional ‘oops’ but I kept my distance and let here enjoy making these and a mess of my kitchen!
She totally knocked it out of the park!!
They are TALL but so fun, she did stick a sucker stick down the middle to keep make it easier to ice! And in all honesty a couple looked like the Leaning Tower of Cake, but it only added quirkiness and fun on the outside to what looked like just plain white towers!
But the outside didn’t matter much because she could hardly get them completely iced and wait for me to take a picture before she was slicing into the cakes. I really wish I would of taken a picture of her face-she had made the cakes, stacked them, iced them, knew exactly what the inside would look like but the smile and look of accomplishment on her face was priceless!
Rainbow Cool Whip Mini Cakes
There are a million ways to go about rainbow cakes, just look it up on Pinterest……holy moly, my advice is just go about it the way that makes the most sense in you head – YOU TOTALLY GOT THIS!!!
We used 2 boxes of cake for 4 mini cakes, prepared them according to package directions and divided them into six bowls evenly and colored the batter the colors of the rainbow with Wilton Food Coloring paste – purple, blue, green, yellow, orange and red. We used pie plates to bake each color cake, leveled cakes after baking then used a ball jar lid as our ‘cookie cutter’ to make 4 rounds per cake color. We opted to use Cool Whip as our icing, delicious and a lot easier to spread than true icing! We also used a sucker stick down the middle of the cakes to help stabilize them a little!
My advice – HAVE FUN! Just take a deep breath and enjoy the colors!
Rainbow Cool Whip Mini-Cakes
- Mix cakes according to package directions.
- Divide batter between six bowls and color using food coloring- purple, blue, green, yellow, orange, red
- Pour each color into a pie plate that has been sprayed with non-stick spray and bake in a 350 degree oven until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove cakes from pie plates and allow to cool.
- Using your Ball Jar lid or cookie cutter, cut 4 circles from each color cake.
- Assemble colors in order putting a layer of Cool Whip between each color. Stick a sucker stick down the center to help the stack stay straight and ice the outside with Cool Whip!
- Sprinkle with rainbow sprinkles till your heart desires!