These Old Fashioned Farmhouse Iowa Ham Balls are a great twist on meat balls, as an appetizer or for a meal! This recipe uses hamburger and ground ham with an easy tomato based sauce.
I went straight to Iowa for this recipe, because apparently Iowa is the home to Ham Balls! There are probably a million different ways to make these, we loved these because they have a more savory sauce than a sweet sauce.
This recipe was pretty simple and tasted so good served over white minute rice! I should of served a vegetable or a side salad looking back now at these pictures…..but I’m a poor planner!
I was anxious to try a different recipe than my ham loaf. While you could totally make my Ham Loaf recipe into balls instead of a loaf this recipe uses a different combination of meat as well and has a more savory than sweet sauce.
Old Fashioned Farmhouse Iowa Ham Balls
I got this family recipe from my friend Mike. From the first time I ate Mike’s Ham Balls I loved them and couldn’t wait to have them again!
Mike is a grain and livestock farmer in Washington Iowa and I love him! He is the funniest best guy around. When we go out to visit he always lets me feed cows with him, he also doesn’t mind when I put some fresh silage in my pocket to use as potpourri later! I love the smell of silage!
- 1 pound hamburger
- 1 pound ground ham
- 1 eggs
- 1 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 3/4 cups milk
- 1 can tomato soup
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard also called ground mustard
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl until well combined
- Pour a small amount of sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 pan, spread over the bottom
- Combine all ingredients - hamburger, ground ham, eggs, graham cracker crumbs and milk in a bowl with hands until well combined
- I used a small scoop to make my meatballs equal size, then rolled them into balls with my hands and placed them in the sauced 9x13 dish
- Pour the remaining sauce over the meatballs
- Cook in a 350 degree pre-heated oven for 1 hour
Nutrition values are estimates, for exact values consult a nutritionist.
Hey, I’m Jent!
Farmwife Feeds is my little space to share farm life and home-cooked recipes, from my soul to yours. These are the recipes I cook that my family eats. And while you’re here, stay awhile and see some of the farm. I share what’s real, muddy boots and all, so what you see is what you get. Read more…