You guys – I did it! I finally ‘perfected’ my Crunchy Granola to my liking! I hope you like it, we ate the first batch quicker than I could photograph it!
It’s too wet to start planting here so I am consoling myself and Chris with food-all the food! It is our coping mechanism, that and beer!
He came in for lunch and started eating this granola and after 15 handfuls said
“you gotta get this away from me or I’m gonna eat it till I founder”.
I don’t need him foundering, it’s bad enough if he gets a man cold. Plus I needed to have some for myself later today!
The basic recipe calls for honey, butter, brown sugar and oats-that’s it! You can either eat it that way or you can add all the goodies you want after it has baked and cooled! I added some salted dry roasted sunflower kernels and pecans to the mix before I baked it. These are both optional but added just the amount of salt I wanted and well, toasted pecans – YUM!
After it baked, cooled and I broke it apart I added all the things…….cashews, dried cranberries and mini M&Ms. The list is virtually endless of the goodies you could add. But in all honesty, the basic crunchy granola was DELISH!
This recipe is based off of my Crispy Chewy Granola Bars recipe. It has Rice Krispie cereal in it to give it that, well crispy texture! I love the flavor combination and knew it would make a great crunchy granola!
Can we just talk about these Mason Jar ziplock bags……GAH! I love mason jars but they break bouncing around in a tractor, or my truck, or a kids truck-you get the picture. So when I found these cute bags on Amazon I had to have some, and they are reusable – did I mention adorable?
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 4 cups quick oats
- 1/3 cup salted dry roasted sunflower kernels optional
- 1/3 cup chopped pieces of pecans optional
- In a large microwavable bowl melt butter.
- Add honey and brown sugar to melted butter, stir to combine.
- Stir quick oats, sunflower kernels and pecans into butter mixture, stir to combine.
- Put mixture onto a greased cookie sheet or a parchment covered cookie sheet - pat out flat.
- Bake in a 350 degree pre-heated oven for 25-30 minutes. Checking every few minutes after 25 minutes - it will start to turn dark quickly.
- Once done remove from oven and allow to cool in pan. Once cool break into bite size pieces. Add any other goodies and store in an air tight container.