If chili and grilled cheese is on the menu at a local joint you can bet your bottom dollar I will order it! So the other day when I really needed my fix and couldn’t find a place to order it I knew it was time to create it myself – Thick Hearty Bar Chili.
While I love our recipe for chili that has been our go to since we got married and is made with sausage there is something about a thick hearty chili and grilled cheese like you get at your local bar.
This is a crowd pleaser and you can totally adjust the heat for those you’re cooking for! Also the amount of water you add can make it thicker or thinner. The longer you simmer this the better the flavor gets in this chili, so you can totally let this simmer on the stove if you’re home or pop it in the crock pot and when you get home supper is ready!
Thick Hearty Bar Chili
- 2 pounds of ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 Tablespoons chili powder
- ¾ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1½ teaspoons cumin
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 small can of chopped green chilis
- 1 28 ounce can of petite diced tomatoes
- 1 6 ounce can of tomato paste
- 2 cans kidney beans
- 1 can pinto beans, drained
- 3-4 cups water
- Brown ground beef and onion, drain fat
- Add meat mixture and all remaining ingredients to slow cooker or dutch oven
- Set slow cooker to low for 6-8 hours
- Set burner to low and allow to simmer for at least 4 hours, stirring often to keep from burning