I believe traditionally Shepherd’s Pie is made with lamb, shepherd – lamb, see the connection! But I like to make mine using beef – Beef Shepherd’s Pie, made the same way but using beef instead of lamb. Which you could totally use ground lamb in this recipe in place of the beef – we are just beef people!
This recipe is from one of my favorite cookbooks from the church I grew up in. The small church I grew up in has the worlds very best cooks – I don’t know how they all ended up in Boggstown Indiana but they did!
I love how super easy it is to throw together, pop in the oven and serve! Put some canned biscuits with it and a side salad and it’s a super simple meal.
The original recipe calls for green beans but honestly any vegetable will work, even frozen mixed vegetables are really good. Believe me I’ve tried almost all the combinations.
Beef Shepherd’s Pie
Using instant mashed potatoes makes this a breeze! If you are unlike me and actually plan ahead you could totally make extra mashed potatoes for another meal and use homemade mashed potatoes as well, but I don’t plan that much. And in all seriousness who has leftover mashed potatoes, because doesn’t matter how much I make we eat them all!
Beef Shepherd's Pie
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 16 ounce can green beans, drained
- 1 can condensed tomato soup
- 4-6 servings of mashed potatoes - homemade or instant
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Brown ground beef and onion in skillet until fully cooked, add salt and pepper
- Stir condensed soup in hamburger mixture
- Carefully stir in drained green beans
- Spread mixture into a 9x9 casserole dish
- Spread mashed potatoes over mixture
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese
- Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 25-30 minutes