Tamale Pie, another great recipe from my nephew. A cornbread base, enchilada sauce, a hamburger and spice mixture all topped with cheese!
You guys, I am a cornbread lover so when my nephew sent me this recipe I knew immediately this would be a favorite for me!
This is a casserole so it’s all right there is one pan but it can be served up so many things that will add texture and taste. I love this with sour cream and fresh slices of avocado but man it’s good with guacamole! And holy cow it is delicious with fresh salsa or your favorite jarred salsa!
The recipe seems long but it’s super easy really. There is a cornbread layer that is baked then topped with canned enchilada sauce! There is a meat mixture layer of browned hamburger and a couple of spices. Then you simply top with cheese which rounds the whole casserole off!
- I state in the recipe directions that sometimes I add a 1/4 cup of water. I add the water with the spices to the browned hamburger. It’s not necessary but I feel like it pulls those spices together to distribute all over the ground beef. It is completely optional.
- I love to bake this in my cast iron skillet but it works just as good and tastes just as delicious in a 9×13 baking/casserole dish.
- I love cilantro so I always top it with chopped cilantro after I take it out of the oven. But that is optional as well.
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2/3 cup flour
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3½ Tablespoons oil
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 4.5 ounce can green chili's
- 1 15 ounce can creamed corn
- 1½-2 pounds hamburger
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oil if using a cast iron skillet
- 1 10 ounce can red enchilada sauce
- 2-3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400° and if using a cast-iron skillet place it in the oven while it is pre-heating. You can also use a 9x13 baking dish.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl - cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt-stir. Then add the oil, milk and egg - stir to combine.Add the can of creamed corn and the green chilis - stir to combine.
- Carefully remove the hot cast-iron skillet from the oven and add a tablespoon of oil to the hot pan-carefully making sure the oil coats the bottom on the pan.Pour in the cornbread batter and place back in the oven for 20-25 minutes until done - a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.Approximately the same cooking time for a greased 9x18 baking dish.
- While the cornbread is in the oven brown the ground beef until fully cooked.Once browned add the cumin, chili powder and salt to browned meat and stir - sometimes I also add a 1/4 cup of water to the meat mixture and stir.Set seasoned meat aside.
- Once cornbread is done carefully remove from the oven.With a fork poke holes in cooked cornbread then pour your enchilada sauce all over the cornbread.
- Now layer your cooked meat on top and cover the meat with your shredded cheese.
- Reduce the temperature of oven to 350°, cover the casserole with foil and place back in the oven for 20 minutes.After 15 minutes remove the foil to brown the cheese.
- If you want now sprinkle on some cilantro and serve!