I’m all about cake mixes, they make life easy. So when you can dress up a cake mix to make a Chocolate Cake Mix Bakery Cake I’m all in.
Is anybody else totally in love with the “minimal” decorating phase all the rage right now? In all honesty, I’m a “give me all the icing” kinda gal when eating cake, but when decorating this minimal icing is the bomb!
So freaking easy! Literally put some icing on the cake, then using an offset cake spatula or the back straight side of a large knife scrape most of it off! Seriously!
Cake Mix Bakery Cake
This cake tastes just as delicious when made in a 9×13 pan so if cake stacking isn’t your thing don’t stress! I also used a basic buttercream icing recipe but I’m not above buying icing either!
Assembling cake like mine in the pictures:
- Bake one cake recipe in two 8 inch round cake pans, allowed to cool completely and leveled the tops.
- Place one round on my cake stand and topped with a thin layer of icing.
- I placed second layer on top then iced the entire cake – sides and top.
- Smooth a thin layer of icing on top, then I used my offset icing spatula to scrape all around the side of the cake to remove the majority of icing – leaving a skim coat for a rustic look.
- For the swirls on top I filled an icing decorator bag with the rest of the butter cream icing and using a 2D Wilton icing tip
Chocolate Cake Mix Bakery Cake
- 1 chocolate cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1¼ cups milk
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Round Cake Pans - Grease and flour or use the baking spray to coat 2 8 inch round cake pans - divide batter between the two pans
- 9x12 Baking Dish - Grease and flour or use the baking spray to coat pan and add batter to pan
- Bake in a 350° pre-heated oven until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.30-35 minutes for both types of pans - but keep an eye on it - when the cake starts to pull away from the sides and the toothpick inserted comes out clean your cakes are done.
- If using rounds and would like to decorate -allow to cool for 5- 10 minutes then carefully remove the cakes from the pans and allow to cool completely on cooling racks before stacking and decorating.
Nutrition values are estimates, for exact values consult a nutritionist.
Hey, I’m Jent!
Farmwife Feeds is my little space to share farm life and home-cooked recipes, from my soul to yours. These are the recipes I cook that my family eats. And while you’re here, stay awhile and see some of the farm. I share what’s real, muddy boots and all, so what you see is what you get. Read more…