Since I started Farmwife Feeds I’ve found I have an oatmeal obsession, like not just a little but a lot. So I’m adding Oatmeal Scotchies to the long list!
Let’s talk butter vs shortening in cookies! I love butter don’t get me wrong but butter will make a crispier cookie where shortening will make a softer one. I’m a true soft cookie lover! As a matter of fact it’s what makes my Snickerdoodles so soft, the use of shortening and margarine.
I am a firm believer in parchment paper when baking. It makes for easy cleanup, even baked cookies on the bottom and no sticking! I suppose I should invest in a silpat mat but I’ll be honest I’ve just had such good luck with parchment paper, it’s tough to change! Plus let’s be honest, I’m not the most organized or neat person, so one less thing to store and clean is a good thing for me!
Cookies and donuts are my weakness. For some reason I am always drawn to a cookie with oatmeal in it, maybe it sounds healthier in my head? I can rationalize just about anything in my own head, honestly me head is a scary place.
My Oatmeal Recipe Archives
- Old Fashioned Oatmeal Molasses Cookies
- Oatmeal Ice Box Cookies
- Overnight Oats In A Jar
- Easy No-Bake Energy Bites Base
- Farmgirl Chocolate Chippers
- Quickie Monster Bars
- Crispy Chewy Granola Bars
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 ⅓ cups brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups oats
- 1-1½ cups butterscotch chips Dealers choice on amount
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnaton and nutmeg in a bowl - set aside
- In a mixing bowl cream shortning, eggs, sugar and vanila until combined and smooth - about 2 minutes
- Slowly add flour mixture to creamed mixture until flour mixture is completely combined
- Add in oats and butterschoth chips - stir until combined
- Drop by teaspoon on a cookie sheet - I always use parchment paper for easy clean-up, even baking on bottoms and so cookies don't stick
- Bake in a pre-heated 350° oven for 12-15 minutes