I love warm cake but this Coconut Icebox Cake has me loving all the refrigerator cake recipes I can get find. Just the right amount of coconut and a tang from the sour cream!
I literally eat this cake off the cake stand, it’s so addicting! And trust me, serve this with raspberries!
If you love raspberries like I do, serve this cake with them! It is an amazing flavor combination that pops in your mouth.
I’ll be honest my layers are very uneven, but I was going for delicious here not perfection!
I put this cake to the true test, I made it for my Mom’s card club! We are talking women who together have years and years of excellent cooking and baking skills backing them – to say I was nervous was an understatement.
It passed with flying colors, so I am confident in saying this is an excellent, delicious cake!
Coconut Icebox Cake
So for the cake part you can feel free to use a boxed white cake mix – I do most of the time! Because lets be honest the show stopper here is the amazing flavor of the icing and what’s between the layers soaking into the cake.
But I also love to use my Everyday Wedding Cake recipe because it’s just as easy as a box mix.
Coconut Icebox Cake
- 24 ounces sour cream
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 cups shredded coconut - divided
- 1 box white cake mix made according to box directions - 2 8-9 inch rounds
- 8 ounce container Cool Whip
- Combine sour cream, sugar and 2 cups of shredded coconut in a bowl. Cover and set in refrigerator, preferrably the day before you make the cake.
- Make white cake according to box directions and bake in 2 layers.
- Once cakes have cooled split into 2 layers using a knife or cake leveler.
- Remove 1 cup of the sour cream, sugar, coconut mixture and stir into the Cool Whip - set in the refrigerator.
- Divide the remaining sour cream, sugar, coconut mixture between each of the layers - placing a layer down spread some of the mixture on, add another layer and continue until all layers have been used.
- Spread the Cool Whip mixture over the entire cake, sprinkle with remaining shredded coconut and refrigirate.