I love Gingerbread – gingerbread cookies, gingerbread cake, all the gingerbread! So these Gingerbread Bars with Cream Cheese Icing have been long on my mind and turned out exactly as I wanted.
I have been working on getting a gingerbread recipe similar in texture and idea to my Fall Pumpkin Squares for awhile now! I think I finally got, well I know I finally got it!
These are cake like, not dense like a cookie, but easy to eat with your hands. Covered in cream cheese icing and sprinkles, these will feed a crowd! Super great for those Christmas get togethers or to give to friend, family and neighbors as a treat.
And we can just admire for a minute how incredibly cute the gingerbread man sprinkles are!
I LOVE THEM!
Gingerbread Bars with Cream Cheese Icing
- ¾ cup butter
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups molasses
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 1¼ teaspoons ginger
- ¾ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3¾ cups flour
- 1½ cups hot water
- 8 ounce bar of Cream Cheese
- ½ cup of softened butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- In mixing bowl cream the flour and sugar; beat in the eggs; mix in the molasses
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and ground cloves
- Mix flour mixture into the creamed mixture until well combined
- Slowly mix in the hot water
- Spread batter into a cookie sheet with high sides approx 18x26, bake in a pre-heated 325 degree oven for 30-45 minutes- until tooth pick comes out of center clean and cake has slightly pulled away from edges of pan
- Cream butter and cream cheese in a mixer, add vanilla
- Slowly stir in powdered sugar until well combined and smooth
- Once bars have cooled spread with cream cheese icing and decorate with sprinkles