Focus with me here, I’m going to take your tastebuds on an adventure with Mickey’s Breakfast Lasagna. This is a family favorite that my kids love.
This recipe is a Disney World find that I recreated! Disney Resorts serve the most amazing breakfast treat called Breakfast Lasagna – layers of pound cake, waffles and pancakes with fruit, an amazingly rich custard poured over and baked. Then it is topped with a pastry cream that makes you want to be alone with it.
Now in all reality I am positive that as heavenly as this dish is, it was a perfect use for leftover pound cake, waffles and pancakes from the many breakfast buffets they have – but I cannot tell a lie, I would eat it all day long, leftover or not!
I had to recreate my own version because we loved it so very much! Most ‘copy cat’ recipes I found had you making pancakes, waffles and pound cake – while I’m sure that makes it delicious I’m more about convenience!
I use frozen pancakes and Sara Lee Pound Cake. I’m here to make this delicious and easy!
Mickey’s Breakfast Lasagna
A sweet style bread pudding made with pancakes and pound cake and delicious fresh berry’s!
Fresh Berry Pancake Bread Pudding
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 Tablespoon Triple Sec optional
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1 ⁄2 cups sugar
- A batch of your favorite homemade pancakes or frozen pancakes-I used 12 frozen pancakes
- 1 Sara Lee Family Size Pound Cake-sliced and cubed
- 1-2 pints fresh raspberries
- 1-2 pints fresh blueberries
- 1 1 ⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 1 ⁄2 cups milk
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 ⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 ⁄4 cup sugar
- Powdered Sugar for garnish
- Whisk together all the custard ingredients in a bowl, set aside
- Begin by alternating layers of pancakes, pound cake crumbles, blueberries and raspberries- 2 layers of each in a 13x9 casserole dish
- Pour custard over layers, kind of mashing down to soak the top layers-carefully though not to squish berries
- Bake in a 350 degree oven till custard is set - approximately 1 - 1 1/2 hours
- While baking prepare pastry cream-In a 2 quart saucepan, combine sugar, flour, salt and milk and whisk; over medium heat, cook while stirring until mixture thickens.
- In a small bowl with a fork, beat egg yolks, beat small amount of milk mixture into yolks to temper the eggs - so they don't scramble by adding them to hot milk mixture
- Slowly pour egg mixture back into milk mixture.
- Stirring constantly, cook over medium low heat until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract. Chill cream until ready to use.
- Once baked, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with pastry cream.