These Red Smashed Potatoes are the essence of a simple recipe for a quick delicious side dish for any meal, well except for tacos, Red Smashed Potatoes probably don’t go with tacos! But you get the idea!
Seriously it’s almost comical I am devoting a whole post and ‘recipe’ to this amazing simple and easy side dish!
I LOVE POTATOES!
Mashed, Smashed, Baked, Boiled, Fried – all of them! I’ve never met a potato I didn’t want to eat!
These are so easy and totally versatile! Most of the time I simply give the potatoes a quick rinse, cube them, put in cold water and boil till fork tender, drain and smash with my hand potato masher adding milk, butter, salt and pepper to the desired consistency and taste!
But these are totally open to interpretation! I have used whole cream or sour cream instead of the milk or in addition to the milk. I have also added garlic and/or onions while boiling the potatoes for another layer of flavor. OH green onions or scallions would be awesome stirred in after they are smashed for a fresh flavor.
This recipe works well with about any kind of potato you can find at the grocery store these days. The great thing is it’s not only easy but there is absolutely no need to peel the potatoes for this dish.
Red potatoes are generally smaller than your normal white potatoes that you buy in the 5 or 10 lb bags, so while I normally prepare about 1-2 potatoes per person for mashed potatoes I usually up that depending on the size of the red potatoes I purchased. And really are leftover mashed potatoes a bad thing if you make too many?
Red Smashed Potatoes
Red Smashed Potatoes
- Red Potatoes
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Optional: Sour Cream Heavy Cream, onions, garlic, green onions, scallions
- Rinse potatoes and cut into cubes (the larger the cube the longer it will take to cook so size is up to you)
- Place cubed potatoes in a pan and completely cover with water.
- Bring to a boil and allow to cook until fork tender.
- Drain potatoes, place back in warm pan and cover with a towel for a few minutes.
- Smash the potatoes with a fork or a hand potato masher adding milk till you reached your desired consistency.