Everything old is new again, including recipes like this Shrimp Dip! A throwback to my childhood of the 70’s for sure!
I came across this recipe in our church cookbook and immediately knew I had to make it! It tasted just like I remembered! It totally sent me back to being a kid and riding my Schwinn bike with the awesome banana seat……but I digress.
Shrimp isn’t a really big deal now with how quickly food can be processed and preserved. Our food system has come a long way and sometimes we take that for granted! This was probably a big deal back in the day when shrimp would of been harder to process and keep fresh, as well as I’m pretty sure canned shrimp was a fairly new idea at the time this recipe was hitting its hey day!
But it hasn’t lost it’s appeal, it just got lost in time there for a bit! This is so simple to throw together and super easy to make ahead for get togethers! It is served cold so basically pull it out of the fridge and open your crackers when the company/friends arrive and its a no brainer!
I choose several different kinds of crackers to serve this with so that each person could pick the kind they felt went best! But a good friend told me they eat this dip with Ruffles potato chips…….I’m not gonna lie, I was skeptical! But I tried it and couldn’t believe how seriously good it was – the crunchy saltiness of the potato chip sent this dip over the top!
- 8 ounce cream cheese
- ¼ cup mayonnaise (use real may or salad dressing -- your choice) - more or less
- Couple splashes of Worcestershire Sauce
- ½ teaspoon onion powder - or onion flakes if you prefer
- 1 small can tiny shrimp, drained
- Mix all the ingredients, if needed use more mayonnaise to make smooth.
- Refrigerate or serve immediately.
- Serve with crackers and potato chips.