We love spaghetti around here, I spent years in search of the perfect spaghetti sauce then I came up with this, this Super Meaty Spaghetti Sauce! We had tried every kind of jarred sauce there is and a bazillion different homemade recipes till I finally hit the nail on the head with this one!
This recipe makes the house smell amazing and makes enough 3-4 meals, what more could you ask for out of a recipe! Technically I suppose this would fall under the category ‘semi-homemade’ ……but then if anybody really wants to argue that technicality they really don’t want to eat my cooking very bad!!
Super Meaty Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
When I make this recipe we usually have spaghetti for supper, I make an 9×12 pan of lasagna for the freezer and then put the rest of the sauce in a couple of Ziploc freezer bags for easy spaghetti meals when the kids expect to eat and I haven’t planned ahead!
This sauce is loaded with meat – 4 pounds to be exact! I use jarred sauce and the super secret ingredient is mushrooms! Why super secret – because 2/3 of my kids hate mushrooms but eat this sauce like it’s going out of style!
Super Meaty Spaghetti Sauce
- 2 pounds of ground hamburger
- 2 pounds of ground Italian sausage
- 8 ounces of finely diced mushrooms
- 3 jars of your favorite spaghetti sauce
- Brown the hangurger and sausage in a large dutch oven or pan
- Once meat is browned add the finely diced mushrooms and continue browning the meat and mushrooms for 5 minutes.
- Add the 3 jars of spaghetti sauce, once you empty the jar put a 1/4 cup water in jar put lid back on and shake to clean jar out then pour that into the pan as well- do this for all three spaghetti sauce jars-the sauce will simmer and cook out the excess water.
- Stir throughly and allow to simmer on extra low heat stirring occasionally for a couple of hours (the longer the more mingled the flavors get) or put in the crockpot on low for several hours.