These Twice Baked Candied Sweet Potatoes are my Mom’s creation and one that makes my heart sing. They are full of flavor and so easy to make!
You guys I’m not even kidding you when I say the majority of the ingredients are sweets that should be on the dessert table but you get to serve them and eat them during dinner!
The only other two ingredients are the sweet potatoes themselves and butter and who doesn’t love butter!
I mean each little potato gets his own little pat of love, errrr butter. It’s like a little kiss for each potato.
Twice Baked Candied Sweet Potatoes
This recipe is so simple and the hardest part can be done the day before – baking the sweet potatoes. They are the perfect compliment to my Glazed Ham Loaf as well.
- 6-7 small to medium sweet potatoes or 3-4 large
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- ½-3/4 cup syrup; Maple, Mrs Butterworth - whatever is your preference
- 2-3 cups marshmallows - enough to cover potatoes or as many as you like
- Wash and cut off any bad spots on sweet potatoes
- Bake in a 350 degree oven till done, approximately one hour
- When cool peel the baked sweet potatoes
- Cut peeled sweet potatoes in half or thirds depending on size and place in a 9x9 baking dish
- Add a small piece of butter on top of each potato piece
- Sprinkle brown sugar over the top
- Pour syrup over the potatoes and cover with foil
- Bake in pre-heated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes
- Remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes
- Now the fun part - cover potatoes with marshmallows, turn oven to broil - watch close as they will burn quickly, when marshmallows are melted and toasted remove from oven and serve.