This One Skillet Chicken Ro-Tel and Rice is a meal that is super simple and a crowd pleaser! It is one of our favorite go-to meals, only uses one skillet and is ready in less than 30 minutes!
This recipe is one I found in an ad for Ro-Tel in a magazine some 20 years ago and has become a family favorite and a go to on busy nights when I haven’t planned anything for supper! It has become super important since I started working full time on the farm – Chris tried to tell me it was a promotion, 2 years later I still question that!
It’s even part of my very special back splash – it is that important of a recipe.
This recipe also heats up well in the microwave when kids are running different directions, some of us are working late in the fields and in the slight chance there is leftovers for lunch the next day!
I’ve even started with frozen chicken breasts, it takes just a tick longer to cook the chicken but not a big deal at all! Which is one reason this is a recipe you want in your back pocket and can pull out anytime you need it!
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 - 10 ounce cans of Ro-Tel
- ½ cup of water
- 3 green onions sliced, reserve 2 Tablespoons for garnish
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream, optional topping
- Heat oil in large skillet, cook chicken for about 5 minutes stirring frequently until no longer pink.
- Stir in rice, Ro-Tel, water and green onions.
- Cook until rice is done.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top, let melt.
- Garnish with remaining green onions and serve, sour cream for topping.