As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases.
There is nothing like Apple Crisp in my book, it’s every bit as good – if not better – than apple pie! Getting that right combination of crispy crumbled topping with a soft warm juicy apple layer makes this recipe perfect and simple.
There might have been an argument on Twitter about Apple Crisp vs. Apple Pie. I might have been involved. I might firmly stand on the side of Apple Crisp. And I might firmly believe that making crisp is not the lazy man’s way of avoiding making an Apple Pie!
I make a mean apple pie, as a matter of fact, I have 2 recipes:
You can buy a pie crust, but you can’t buy a perfectly combined crumbly topping for crisp. But you can make one and this is my very favorite recipe. I won’t lie, sometimes I double the crumbly, buttery, sugary, oatmeal topping – it’s that good and I’m a rebel like that!
Jonathon’s are our favorite apple for recipes like this, but Honey Crisp are good also! Use your favorite apple or really any kind of apple you have on hand just make this – it will be good I promise!
This recipe calls for a bit of liquid in the bottom of the dish. In a pinch I use water but if you have apple cider or apple juice you will definitely want to use them, it just adds that extra depth of flavor! It makes that delicious syrup that makes each bite extra special.
Ingredients To Gather
- 6-7 of your favorite apples
- white sugar
- apple cider, apple juice or in a pinch water
- brown sugar
How To Make This Apple Crisp
- Start by peeling and coring your apples. I love, love, love my handy dandy peeler, slicer corer! It is fairly inexpensive, easy to use and store.
- Once the apples are prepared and in a large bowl, I sprinkle with the sugar and cinnamon. Then I toss them to coat all the apples.
- I put my liquid (apple cider, apple juice or water) in the bottom of my 9×13 baking dish and then evenly scatter my sugared apples in the dish as well. There is no need to stir, the liquid will do it’s job.
- Now put all your crumbly topping ingredients into a bowl. Using a pastry cutter, fork or your hands combine till you have a course crumb topping.
- Sprinkle the oat mixture onto your apple layer evenly.
- Bake in a pre-heated 325 degree oven for approximately 1 hour. The apples will be soft and topping will be lightly browned with a crunch.
Tips, Tricks, Questions, Comments
This recipe calls for 6-7 apples, not a specific measurement. That’s right, we are measuring with our heart. If you think there aren’t enough apples in the pan by all means add more!
My favorite way to serve this is warm out of the oven with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream. It would be delicious drizzled with caramel or chocolate sauce……or BOTH!!!!
This is amazing served warm with ice cream but don’t underestimate this the next morning for breakfast. Heat up a serving for approximately a minute or so in the microwave and it’s a delicious breakfast.
It’s probably a good idea to store this covered and in the refrigerator, although in this house we hardly have leftovers!
If your family likes more topping than apples than feel free to double the crumbly topping recipe! I do this almost every time I make it!
This recipe calls for a small amount of liquid in the bottom of the baking dish which helps make the sweet syrup that is a signature of this particular Apple Crisp recipe. I highly recommend apple cider but apple juice works as well. In a pinch I have used water, which works it just doesn’t give the intense apple flavor.
- 6-7 apples
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2-3 Tablespoons apple cider apple juice or water
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- Peel, core and slice the apples
- In a large bowl toss the apples, sugar, and cinnamon until the apples are well coated
- Put 2-3 tablespoons of apple cider, juice, or water in the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish
- Spread the apple mixture evenly in the baking dish
- Combine the topping ingredients in a bowl and using a pastry cutter or a fork combine to make a crumble topping
- Spread the crumble topping evenly over the apple layer
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour
- Store leftovers covered and in the refrigerator
- This is delicious served warm with a big dip of vanilla ice cream
Nutrition values are estimates, for exact values consult a nutritionist.
Join my mailing list to receive the latest recipes delivered right to your inbox!
You have Successfully Subscribed!
Hey, I’m Jent!
Farmwife Feeds is my little space to share farm life and home-cooked recipes, from my soul to yours. These are the recipes I cook that my family eats. And while you’re here, stay awhile and see some of the farm. I share what’s real, muddy boots and all, so what you see is what you get. Read more…
The ultimate fall dessert! Thank you for sharing at our Celebrate365 blog party.
Just made this apple crisp! Two pans in the oven it smells wonderful…Had to use Splenda for my husband but added extra cinnamon.
Your recipes look very promising, thank you!