There is nothing like Apple Crisp in my book, it’s every bit as good – if not better – than apple pie! Getting that right combination of crispy crumbled topping with soft warm juicy apple layer makes this recipe perfect and simple.
There might of been an argument on Twitter about Apple Crisp vs. Apple Pie. I might of been involved. I might firmly stand on the side of Apple Crisp. And I might firmly believe that making Apple Crisp is not the lazy mans way of avoiding making an Apple Pie!
You can buy a pie crust, you can’t buy a perfectly combined crumbly topping for Apple Crisp. But you can make one and this is my very favorite recipe for Apple Crisp, sometimes I double the crumbly, buttery, sugary, oatmeal topping – it’s that good and I’m a rebel like that!
Jonathon’s are our favorite apple for recipes like this, but Honey Crisp are good also! Use your favorite apple or really any kind of apple you have on hand just make this – it will be good I promise!
This recipe calls for a bit of liquid in the bottom of the dish. In a pinch I use water but if you have apple cider or apple juice you will definitely want to use them, it just adds that extra depth of flavor! It makes that delicious syrup that makes each bite extra special.
- 6-7 peeled cored, sliced apples
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2-3 Tablespoons apple cider apple juice or water
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of oatmeal
- 1/2 cup of softened butter
- Toss the apples with the sugar and cinnamon
- Pour 2-3 tablespoons of liquid in the bottom of a 9x13
- Spread the apple mixture in the pan
- Combine the topping ingredients in a bowl and using a pastry cutter or a fork combine to make a crumble topping
- Spread the crumble topping evenly over the apples
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour