I have been making this Creamy Onion Soup for years and I still love it. I love French Onion soup but a good creamy soup just makes me super happy.
- The onions really cook down in this soup. The larger chunks you cut your onions the more you will taste and see them once the soup is done. If you prefer just the onion flavor but not the texture you can cut your onions into smaller pieces.
- To thicken this soup flour is used. Sift the flour in slowly and stir continuously and carefully. Don’t use a whisk as that will really tear those fragile onion chunks up.
- All cheeses are good in this soup, so don’t feel like you only have to use the cheeses I use in the recipe below!
If you are looking for a great French Onion Soup recipe check out Liz’s over at Farmwife Cooks!
Creamy Onion Soup
I think soups are such an easy meal because they can stand alone or simply served with a sandwich. I love to serve this soup with a roast beef sandwich on sliced french bread I grab in the bakery section of the grocery store.
More of my favorite soup recipes:
- Mom’s Creamy Potato Soup
- Instant Pot Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Crock Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Mexican Beef Rice Soup
Creamy Onion Soup
- 8 cups beef broth
- 3-4 medium white onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup flour, you'll need to sift this in
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1¼ cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- additional cheese for garnish
- In a large sauce pan bring the beef broth to a rolling boil.
- Peel and cut onions into thick slices and then quarter those sliced. Add onions, salt and pepper to broth. Simmer, uncovered for 1 hour.
- While carefully stirring sift the flour into the soup. Stir until thickened and any lumps of flour are dissolved. Simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
- Slowly stir in the heave cream and all the cheese.
- Can serve with additional cheese on top, green onions, croutons or just the way it is!