My Grandmother made these Homemade Crescent Rolls for every holiday and they are still a family tradition. They are a yeast dough that has a denser texture because of their shape. Glazed with powdered sugar and orange juice they will become a family favorite on special occasions.
These have been a part of every single family dinner and special occasion for as long as I can remember on my Dad’s side of the family. My Grandmother Eck made these and my Mom has carried on the tradition. Although this one year she tried to change up Easter dinner by suggesting we have Hot Cross Buns! I’ll just say the idea did not go over well and was ultimately rejected.
Once the dough has risen once, roll it out into a circle.
Now cut like you would a pizza!
Roll from the wide end into the point!
And WALA the perfect crescent roll!
Homemade Crescent Rolls
These rolls can bring a family together at the table, as well as maybe cause a brawl between you and your brother in the kitchen! Because, let’s face it all food must be taste tested as it comes out of the oven and you will want to be the taste tester of these!
I think my Mom has figured out to make extra so that enough of them actually end up on the dinner table and not all devoured before hand in the kitchen!
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 pkg yeast
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 5 cups flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
- Scald milk, butter, salt and sugar
- Allow to cool just enough to stick your finger in without burning it or right at 95 degrees
- Sprinkle yeast into warm mixture, stir slightly and allow yeast to activate - start to bubble
- Now put in mixing bowl and mix in ½ cup sugar and eggs
- Slowly add flour 1 cup at a time until all flour is combined and dough stays together
- Place in a bowl, cover and allow to rise in a warm place until double in size
- Roll out in a circle, cut into triangles, and roll from wide end to point
- Place rolls on a cookie sheet and allow to rise a second time
- Bake in a 350 degree pre-heated oven for approximately 10 minutes, until golden brown and done
- Combine powdered sugar and orange juice until smooth
- Brush on warm rolls and serve